Monday, April 19, 2010

Cereal #1: Honey Nut Cheerios


I love grocery shopping. Even if the budget is small, its fun to see how healthy and yummy I can feed myself on price cuts and sales (yay corporations). Life right now consists of living as meagerly and resourcefully as possible. This cereal thing doesn't seem to fit into that category.

WHERE TO BEGIN? Should I pick something I've never had before? Something that's cheap? The brightest one? The one with the cutest animal? Eh. I love Honey Nut Cheerios, swipe. I simply cannot allow myself more than five minutes in the cereal isle. Just not acceptable.

A friend recommended an amazing Radiolab (WNYC) podcast on the process of decision-making. We live in an age of choices (certainly in America) and we make a billion a day. Which is the best toothpaste? 2% or skim? Stop at the stop sign or roll through? Update Facebook status or stalk? Run or walk? Where to park? Who to marry? Spend money or save it? The fascinating part lies in how we come to these decisions. Some folks are incorrigible when it comes to making decisions and let others make them for them. Some know WHAT they want all the time and won't settle for substitutions. Others consider every possible contingency until their brains are fried. And some... just don't care. If you get the chance, listen to the podcast.

Putting into perspective the larger questions in life, I decided to make this cereal challenge simple. JUST PICK ONE ALREADY!

I found a commercial from 1984 that demonstrates even the unlikely celebrities enjoy Honey Nut Cheerios!

The first bowl was nothing monumental. I stood in the kitchen, bowl in left, spoon in right, slurping and crunching away. Mmm, just as yummy as I remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment